Reports to: Paving Foreman
Reporting to the Foreman, the Roller Operator is responsible for the safe and efficient operation of Breakdown
Rollers and Finish Rollers. The Roller Operator distributes, breaks down, compresses and gives a finish surface
to cooling asphalt. Barricade newly installed asphalt to prevent damages and supply costumer with informational
material and care instructions. Ensure job site is clean and free of excess material.
- Operate the roller and other heavy equipment in a safe and appropriate manner.
- Perform daily maintenance and safety checks of equipment.
- Maintain and ensure vehicle and equipment are stock with needed materials.
- Safely operate roller in successive overlapping passes over surfaces to be compacted, rolling asphalt to
desired compaction and smoothness.
- Determine speed and direction of machine, based on knowledge of compressibility of material under changing
temperatures, so that ridges do not form by excessive pressure.
- Push hand roller and pound surfaces using hand tamp, or guide portable plate compactors over areas not
accessible to road roller.
- Operate the Breakdown roller to achieve proper compaction.
- Operate the Finish Roller in successive overlapping passes to apply final finish, and remove imperfections
with a finish roller.
- Train new employees in the safe and efficient operation of the Roller.
- Ensure job site is clean and free of excess material.
- Must ensure a solid understanding of, and comply with the principles of the company’s Code of Ethics.
- Must examine situations in light of the principles of the Code of Ethics.
- Participate as a vital team member, and contribute towards the success of the organization, which may
involve the provision of other technical and administrative support, as required.
- Promote a team approach and maintain dialogue with all employees to exchange information and gather ideas.
- Collaborate with any project teams on other special initiatives, as required.
- Promote, execute and adhere to the company’s safety program, and encourage all employees, subcontractors and
consultants to adopt safety as a culture.
- Attend daily and weekly safety meetings and inspections.
- Work with Management to investigate damage, incidents or near misses in the worksite, and ensure proper
procedures are carried out according to the Company’s Safety Program.
- Work in a safe, responsible manner to not intentionally or unintentionally injure oneself, or endanger the
wellbeing of others.
- High School Diploma or G.E.D. preferred
- Class D Driver’s License
- Minimum 3 experience within the construction industry
- 2 years’ experience operating Breakdown Rollers, Rubber Tire Rollers and/or Finish Rollers is required.
- Desired Qualifications:
- Knowledge of Rollers and other heavy equipment.
- Knowledge of construction materials, construction processes and industry requirements.
- Understanding of computerized controls and electronics.
- 3+ experience within the construction industry
- 2+ years’ experience operating Breakdown Rollers, Rubber Tire Rollers and/or Finish Rollers is required
- Out of town travel is required
- Overtime as required
- Work is performed in an outdoor setting, which could include inclement weather, heat and humidity, and
exposure to dust and asphalt.
- Must be physically able to repetitively lift and carry at least 50 LBS. on a regular basis
- Use of Personal protection Equipment is required.
- Use of sunscreen, long sleeves, and appropriate headgear is recommended.
- Must comply with the company’s drug and alcohol testing requirements.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people
assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities,
duties, and skills required. Personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal
responsibilities from time to time, as needed.