Reports to: Foreman
Reporting to the Foreman, the Paver Operator is responsible for the safe and efficient operation of the asphalt
paver. This position operates paving machines to spread and level hot mix paving material on driveways, parking
lots, streets and pathways.
- Operate the paver and other heavy equipment in a safe and appropriate manner.
- Perform daily maintenance and safety checks of equipment.
- Preheat paving screed before placement of asphalt and monitor and control temperature settings of the
- If needed manually light burners to start heating units of the paver and regulate screed temperature.
- Operate the paver controls to lower the screed auger, control the hopper, and navigate the direction of the
- Align the paving machine into position when receiving asphalt by dump truck; a times maintain constant flow
of asphalt into hopper; ease paver forward, safely pushing dump truck along construction surface.
- Observe distribution of paving material along screed and control the direction of the screed to eliminate
voids at curbs and joints.
- Line paver appropriately to the work area, and ensure proper application of the asphalt, smoothing it evenly
to the desired height, width, and depth
- Monitor temperature of asphalt flowing from hopper
- Train new employees in the safe and efficient operation of the paver.
- Must ensure a solid understanding of and complying with the principles of the company’s Code of Ethics.
- Must examine situations in light of the principles of the Code of Ethics.
- Promote, execute and adhere to the company’s safety program, and encourage all employees, sub-contractors
and consultants to adopt safety as a culture.
- Attend daily and weekly safety meetings and inspections.
- Work with Management to investigate damage, incidents or near misses in the worksite, and ensure proper
procedures are carried out according to the Company’s Safety Program.
- Work in a safe, responsible manner to not intentionally or unintentionally injure oneself, or endanger the
wellbeing of others.
- Participate as a vital team member, and contribute towards the success of the organization, which may
involve the provision of other technical and administrative support, as required.
- Promote a team approach and maintain dialogue with all employees to exchange information and gather ideas.
- Collaborate with any project teams on other special initiatives, as required.
- High School Diploma or G.E.D. preferred
- Class A Driver’s License preferred
- 3 years’ experience within the construction industry
- 2 years’ experience operating a Paver is required.
- Knowledge of Paver and other heavy equipment.
- Knowledge asphalt construction materials, construction processes and industry requirements.
- Understanding of computerized controls and electronics
- 3+ years’ experience within the construction industry
- 2+ years’ experience operating a Paver
- Overtime is required
- Work is performed in an outdoor setting, which could include inclement weather, heat and humidity, and
exposure to dust and asphalt.
- Must be physically able to repetitively lift and carry at least 50 LBS. on a regular basis.
- Use of Personal Protection Equipment is required.
- Use of sunscreen, long sleeves, and appropriate headgear is recommended.
- Must comply with the company’s drug and alcohol testing requirements.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people
assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities,
duties, and skills required. Personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal
responsibilities from time to time, as needed.