Department: Paving, Grading, Infrared, Or Sealcoat
Reports to: Forman
Reporting to the Foreman, the Laborer is responsible for providing a physical labor support during all phases of
construction and production. The laborer provides a broad range of support in areas, such as, hand work, moving
materials, clearing terrain, site preparation, shoveling and basic equipment operation.
- Load, unload and move construction materials around the worksite.
- Manually remove large rocks and debris turned up by graders and other heavy equipment, ensuring all revealed
rocks and debris are clear before equipment makes further passes.
- Execute traffic control plans by placing, removing, covering and uncovering traffic control signs, cones,
barricades and other traffic control devices. Direct traffic when necessary.
- Signal operators of construction equipment to facilitate alignment and movement of materials.
- Assist in the installation of castings.
- Using a rake or shovel, spread gravel and other construction materials over road surfaces, building or
decreasing slopes or leveling asphalt to fine grade specifications.
- Shoveling test holes by locating markers/flags and quarantine any exposed pipes. Mark test holes with
paint or ribbon.
- Ensure worksite is organized and free of clutter, rubble and garbage.
- Shovel materials into areas inaccessible to equipment, and compact mix using rakes and hand tampers.
- Operate equipment, such as pneumatic hammers, vibrators, tampers, and skid steer when needed.
- Other General Laborer and construction related duties as required.
- Promote, execute and adhere to the company’s safety program, and encourage all employees, sub-contractors
consultants to adopt safety as a culture.
- Attend daily and weekly safety meetings and inspections.
- Work with Safety Department to investigate damage, incidents or near misses in the worksite, and ensure
procedures are carried out according to the Company’s Safety Program.
- Work in a safe, responsible manner to not intentionally or unintentionally injure oneself, or endanger the
wellbeing of others.
- Participate as a vital team member, and contribute towards the success of the organization, which may
the provision of other technical and administrative support, as required.
- Promote a team approach and maintain dialogue with all employees to exchange information and gather ideas.
- Collaborate with any project teams on other special initiatives, as required.
- High School Diploma or G.E.D. preferred
- Class D Driver’s License, or equivalent, preferred
- Basic knowledge road construction materials and tools.
- Out of town travel is required.
- Overtime as required
- Work is performed in an outdoor setting, which could include inclement weather, heat and humidity, and
to dust and asphalt.
- Must be physically able to repetitively lift and carry at least 50 LBS. on a regular basis.
- Use of Personal Protection Equipment is required.
- Use of sunscreen, long sleeves, and appropriate headgear is recommended.
- Must comply with the company’s drug and alcohol testing requirements.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people
to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and
skills required. Personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time
time, as needed.