Reports to: Head of Paving
Direct Supervisory: Yes
Last Revised: December 15th 2016
Reporting to the Head of Paving, the Foreman directs and manages all on-site construction workers and equipment,
enforcing the company’s direction, policies, procedures and safety standards, while meeting construction
responsibilities of the Foreman include, but are not limited to:
- Lead and direct people, equipment and resources in the construction of driveways, parking lots, and
- Ensure sufficient deployment and productivity of work crews.
- Engage in open communication with the Head of Divisions, and report any issues which could affect the
- Work as a team member and leader to carry out grade preparation.
- Use survey equipment to ensure proper grading.
- Organize and coordinate the daily activities of all crew members, subcontractors, equipment and utilize
corrective action to keep the project on time and on budget.
- Ensure subgrade materials and base gravels are laid to contract specifications.
- Observe asphalt and subgrade to determine potential quality control issues, and apply necessary corrections.
Specifically, identifying segregation, drainage issues, densities and other quality concerns of the job.
- Identify and execute best practices concerning the efficient use of construction materials.
- Plan work in an efficient and effective order, maximizing progress in a safe and timely manner.
- Review and adhere to construction schedules, ensuring milestones and completion dates are met.
- Ensure company equipment is lawfully operated, cared for, maintained and used effectively.
- Read and interpret project plans and specifications.
- Operate heavy equipment and other construction duties as necessary.
- Must ensure a solid understanding of, and comply with the principles of the company’s Code of Ethics.
- Must examine situations in light of the principles of the Code of Ethics.
- Ensure all new hires receive their required orientation, and attend company designated training.
- Monitor and manage employee attendance, ensuring the timely arrival and participation of all crew members,
and notifying employees of rain days, prior to the start of the work.
- Delegate tasks and accountabilities, instruct, supervise, lead and direct base crew.
- Liaise between the company and employees on a variety of employee related matters.
- Comply with relevant legislation regarding employee management, terminations and resignations.
- Handle and thoroughly investigate all employee concerns.
- Liaise with the Human Resource department on a variety of employee related issues, including employee
development, recruitment, benefits, training, terminations, and investigations.
- Ensure consistent and fair application of the progressive disciplinary policy, as necessary.
- Other Employee Supervision duties as required.
- Promote, execute and adhere to the company’s safety program, and encourage all employees, subcontractors and
consultants to adopt safety as a culture.
- Conduct daily and weekly safety as a culture.
- Conduct daily and weekly safety meetings and inspections.
- Review safe work plans/hazard assessments with crew prior to job commencement.
- Work with Safety Department to investigate damage, incidents or near misses in the worksite, and ensure
proper procedures are carried out according to the Company’s Safety Program.
- Work in a safe, responsible manner to not intentionally or unintentionally injure oneself, or endanger the
wellbeing of others.
- Participate as a vital team member, and contribute towards the success of the organization, which may
involve the provision of other technical and administrative support, as required.
- Promote a team approach and maintain dialogue with all employees to exchange information and gather ideas.
- Collaborate with any project teams on other special initiatives, as required.
Education, Training, and Certifications
- High School Diploma or G.E.D. preferred
- Class D Driver’s License or equivalent required
- Minimum 5 to 7 years’ experience within the road construction industry
- Minimum 3 to 5 years’ experience as a Base, Paving or Underground Foreman.
- Knowledge of paving construction methods, paving construction materials and industry requirements.
- Knowledge of heavy equipment
- Interpersonal skills
- Communication skills
- Time Management
- Organizational skills
- Problem solver
- Supervisory skills
- Heavy Equipment Operation
- Demonstrate professionalism
- Accomplish goals in a team environment
- Have a sense of urgency to meet deadlines
- Attention to detail
- Multi-task and set priorities effectively
- Strive for excellence
- Flexible and adaptive to change
- Possess a positive “can do’ attitude
- Excellent hand, eye and foot coordination
- Excellent sense of balance
- Out of town travel is required.
- Overtime as required.
- Work is performed in an outdoor setting, which could include inclement weather, heat and humidity, and
exposure to dust and asphalt.
- Must be physically able to repetitively lift and carry at least 50 LBS. on a regular basis.
- Use of Personal Protection Equipment is required.
- Use of sunscreen, long sleeves, and appropriate headgear is recommended.
- Must comply with the company’s drug and alcohol testing requirements.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people
assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities,
duties, and skills required. Personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal
responsibilities from time to time, as needed.